Sexual harassment of staff at work place
Sexual harassment is against the law under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010. Sexual harassment if unwelcome second behaviour which could be expected to make a person feel offended, humiliated or intimidated. It can be physical, verbal of written
Liability: While the person who sexually harasses someone else is liable for their own behaviours, employees can also be held vicariously liable for acts of sexual harassment by their employees or agents. Sexual harassment can involve, employees, managers, contractors, agents, clients, customers and others connected with or attending the work place.
Information and Resource: Under the Equal Opportunity Act employees have a positive duty to prevent sexual harassment from happening as far as possible.
This might also include:-
- Making sure the school has a sexual harassment policy for staff and a complaint procedure in place.
- Ensuring staff has adequate training on these policies and procedures.
- They need to have faith so that they can take the things seriously.
- Actively encouraging reporting in the work place for example by giving managers credit for taking action to encourage, reporting and modelling appropriate behaviour.
- The sexual harassment of women at work place (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act 2013 is a legislative act in India that seeks to protect women from sexual harassment at their place of work. It was passed by Lok Sabha 3rd September 2012.
Work place sexual harassment takes many different forms. It can come from a co-worker, a supervisor, a customer or a client and ranges from inappropriate comments or jokes to unwanted touching etc. It does not have to be sexual harassment, it can also look like teasing, intimidating or offensive comments based on stereotypes or bullying someone or a group of people based on their sex, gender identity.
The school has taken certain steps to see that the staff feel safe, giving them a proper working environment so that the school as well as the children may flourish in the forthcoming years.